Thursday, December 23, 2010

Happy Christmas!

Happy Christmas everyone! Here is our Christmas tree and some of the presents we wrapped. My hubby and I decorated most of the tree but his mother made the beautiful bow to place on top of the tree instead of a star. I even strung up popcorn to add some older flare to the tree. It was something we use to do as children when we didn't have as much money and could not buy expensive decorations and popcorn is something my mom always enjoyed so we had it often. I love to see the tree filled with Christmas gifts, my tree growing up was nothing like this one. Some years we wouldn't have anything at all...not even a Christmas dinner. I remember one Christmas, I was 10 or 11 years old and there was no money for presents. On Christmas Eve Mom tells me and my older siblings "there's no money for presents for all of you but we might be able to get Crissa (my younger sister) something. We will say that you three were bad so Santa didn't leave you anything." We were sad but she was younger, still believed in Santa, none of us wanted her to be disappointed come Christmas morning. Mom bundled us all up and crammed us into the car heading for Mini Mart, a local convenient store. We found a plastic doll for a few dollars and got that. It was a sour Christmas for the older kids but the smile on my little sisters face when she woke up and a present was waiting for her made it all worth it.

No comments: